Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Kitchen Reveal

I have been hesitant to post "before" photos of the house until now because I was afraid people would think I was crazy for taking on a house in the condition it was in.  I saw all the ugly things about the house, sure.  The ugly features were pretty hard to miss.  But when we walked through the house before buying it, I only saw the potential.  

Today, I was looking through the photos from before the remodel began, and wow…it really was ugly.  Perhaps people were right: I was insane to buy a house in this condition.  But it sure turned out pretty.  

So here's a walk down memory lane.

February





April





May




We discovered the original maple floors in good condition under the linoleum!


June





July



Oh, the piano in the kitchen? It's a long story.  
August

We did a quick paint job before moving in.






September

This is the kitchen we moved into. I think the two-by-fours holding up the countertop channel that rustic modern look, don't you think?








October


The countertops came.  And broke.  And were replaced with a different substrate underneath and now elicit awe from passersby. Well, maybe not, but I like them.  A lot. 

December




  


This idea is from Pinterest.  Rather than interrupt the backsplash with outlets, we
mounted them underneath the cabinets.



Below is my favorite cabinet.  It's a custom cabinet made to squeeze perfectly into the niche in the wall. There's two outlets inside the cabinet so that it can house my mixer, microwave and other small appliances. Which, judging from this photo, I seem to have a lot of.  






We're still awaiting the glass shelves for the china cabinet, but other that that it's done. Except for the paint touch-up, window sanding.....

We love it.  And it's certainly the place where people congregate, which is just what I'd hoped for.  


4 comments:

  1. This is seriously GORGEOUS! What a transformation, and I love the brightness of the new colors. WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out beautiful. I am one who cannot see the finished product until it is finished. I love your home and I am so happy for you that you got your dream to fix a fixer upper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, that's fantastic! What a great transformation, your kitchen is gorgeous now, seeing the before photos makes it even better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can;t believe it's the same house that I spent much time in. My grandmother and mother would be amazedD

    ReplyDelete